The content on this page was produced by ERI Solutions, LLC, one of the companies that merged in 2020 to form PROtect.
Should our company have a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) even if they aren’t required?
Many organizations either have no Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) or the SOPs they have are so outdated they go unused. If your organization falls into either category and SOPs are not necessarily required, you may be unsure of exactly what they are and if they are needed?
An SOP is a set of step-by-step instructions compiled by an organization to help workers carry out complex routine operations, ensuring that services and products are delivered safely, efficiently and consistently every time. SOPs can also be used be to demonstrate regulatory compliance with the Occupation Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Department of Transportation (DOT), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), etc.
According to Jay Beckel, senior vice president of client services at ERI Solutions LLC., a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) and a Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM), each organization should have SOPs and there are many benefits to using them.
Benefits of SOPs
- Provide employees with all the Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) and operational information needed to perform their jobs
- Ensure operations are performed consistently to maintain quality
- Ensure processes are completed on a prescribed schedule, which improves process uptime
- Ensure no failures occur that would harm employees or the surrounding community
- Ensure and demonstrate compliance with company and government regulations
- Serve as a training document for new employees
- Serve as a checklist for managers and/or auditors that must review employee performance
- Act as a record of how processes have been completed, especially if steps must be updated or an accident must be investigated
How to Create or Update SOPs
Ensuring safety and meeting all regulatory requirements can be very complex. Due to the fact that an effective SOP would deliver both of these benefits, it is wise to utilize an expert partner like ERI Solutions in your SOP creation or updating process.
ERI Solutions is uniquely positioned to ensure companies like yours are protected from unnecessary risks related to regulatory non-compliance, employee injury, liability and property damage. We work within a variety of industries and have clients throughout the United States with whom we have helped to execute custom risk control solutions, including SOPs.
Contact ERI Solutions directly at (316) 927-4290 to discuss how we can help your company develop effective SOPs.
Related Videos & Articles
Is Your Company Compliant?
Would your company be found compliant with your applicable regulatory requirements? Contact us directly at (316) 927-4290 for a free consultation to find out!Contact Us